BEST AMC” aims to digitise the entire electricity distribution system through GIS based services.
Geographical Information System (GIS) combines location data with both quantitative and qualitative information about the location, allowing you to visualize, analyze, and report information through maps and charts. Using the technology, you can answer questions, conduct what-if scenarios, and visualize results. GIS is identified as a system used to manage infrastructure assets, natural resources and any objects as per requirement. It is easier to analyze and manage facility and asset data stored in GIS, making design, construction, and maintenance more efficient and profitable.
GIS is a software based system which facilitates end to end information of assets or any type of objects as required by end user on maps having desired accuracy in raster and vector forms. GIS aids geographical location, parent child relationship, unique identification, attributes, technical parameters, 2D/3D view and any other requirement customized. GIS information/data is most adoptable, accurate and user-friendly to meet general requirements of operations and other software applications. Using main GIS application, other GIS based applications can be easily developed to meet specific requirements of users. Such systems are essential in Utility (Water, Electric, Gas), Local Government Authorities, Defense Services, Aviation, Roads, Transportation Services, Space, Mining and any multi-location business operations requirements. These utilities are managed under various GIS based domains like Utility GIS, Municipal GIS.
Being a Distribution Company for South Mumbai (Mumbai HUB) BEST may adopt GIS practices to take advantages of GIS based application to enhance performance of operations and to maintain accuracy of data and subsequently derived parameters for Business Intelligence. GIS provides functionalities to easily author data, maps, globes, and models on the desktop and serve them out for use on a desktop, in a browser, or in the field via mobile devices, depending on the needs of the organization. Further it gives tools for building own applications for the users.
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport Undertaking (BEST) is an enterprise of Brihanmumbai Mahanagar palika and is in the business of distributing electricity to consumers in the old city limits and also for providing public road transport (Bus transport) in the entire city limits as well as in some adjoining areas of Mumbai city. BEST distributes electricity from Colaba in South Mumbai to Sion/Mahim in the North.
The erstwhile Bombay Electric Supply & Tramways Company started supplying electricity to the Bombay city in 1905. Until 1926, the BEST had been generating its own electricity for distribution to its consumers. Later, the BEST started purchasing electricity from M/s Tata Electric Company (now Tata Power).In 1947 the Company was municipalised and came to be known as Bombay Electric Supply and Transport Undertaking, which was later changed to Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport Undertaking (BEST).
The Undertaking is now well known in India for providing cost effective electricity with minimum interruptions and at stable voltage. BEST is well appreciated for the quick restoration of supply in the event of any faults developing in the distribution system. BEST also designs and executes schemes for provision and improvement of street lights in the distribution licensee area on behalf of Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) to enhance safety of road users by providing uninterrupted street lighting while also ensuring energy conservation. BEST also provides temporary street lighting during festivals on behalf of MCGM.
In order to provide the best energy solutions and to maintain the electricity distribution network in a systematic way that includes optimizing the planning process to provide best of the services to its customers, B.E.S.T has undertaken this project to implement state-of-the-art Automated Mapping/Facilities Management /Geographical Information System (AM / FM / GIS) in its Drawing Office of Network Planning department. For this to be implemented a complete network analysis was performed.
Digitization of 800 block plans which includes land base along with electric network, Scanning & attaching of associated extension sketches, site plans, layout plans, service sketches as mentioned design/data entry in order to create efficient AM/FM/GIS system, for activities of Drawing office. AM / FM /GIS Software shall automate the present activities of Drawing Office and of Planning (Network) Department.
- Services forDigitization, conversion of 800 Block plans & creating a seamless digital map for BEST operational area.
- Scanning and hyperlinking only of existing Extension Sketches, Service Cards, Site Plans (S/Pl), Layout Plans (L/Pl), Substation Details, Receiving Substation Drawings, Route Plans (R/Pl), Earthing Plate Drawings (E/Pl), S/PRO, E/PRO, L/PRO, Radial Diagrams. (HV), Load Sheets to corresponding features in the 800 block plans as per the quantities.
- Digitization of Street Lighting Plans and creation of suitable database.
- Digitization of Key plan by placing a linear road network. This will be done during digitization so as to facilitate the embedding of the key plan on S/PL and M/PL. BEST will have to take a snap shot of the required area from the main database and to embed it on the S/PL and M/PL prepared by them in VISIO.
- Digitization of the HV Radial diagrams (4nos) and LV Load sheets (600nos of the 2006 year) and linking of the database.
- G/technology is a multidimensional solution, providing powerful tools to support the facilities asset/configration management needs of the electric transmission and distribution industries.
- G/technology comes with significant out of the box functionality and is ready to be implemented via a fast track approach in order to reduce the costs and time frame typically associated with delivery and deployment of such systems.
- G/technology provides the capability to link many of the critical work flow processes into an integrated information environment,reducing the cost of designing, operating and maintaining the assets of BEST and deliver energy to customers.
- G/Electric provides tools for placing, modelling and modifying electric N/W facilities during conceptualization and planning.a.
- The G/Electric digitizing process permits interactive ability to snap points during placement editing.
- The G/Electric interactive placement is used to construct features using interaction with the mouse or keyboard.
- G/Electric provides several methods to default attribute values. The primary technique is to use the Oracle data definition capability to define default values.
- G/Electric provides a number of methods to validate data input by the users.
- G/Electric provides support for connectivity and parent-child relationship, including many to many relationships.
- G/Electric supports the creation and maintenance of intelligent land base features such as addresses, buildings, parcels, street centrelines, ROW.
- G/Electric supports the ability to generate reports in either a graphics or text report format.
- G/Electric supports generation of both predefined and ad hoc plots.
With the help of GIS services like Automated Mapping / Facilities Management /Geographical Information System (AM / FM / GIS) BEST was able to successfully complete the Digitization of 800 block plans for its Drawing Office of Network Planning department.